Tuesday, May 13, 2008

One Down...












I finished the first of my 2nd pair of socks, and I love blogging, and it doesn't happen often enough (come on, people, let's get knitting!!), so I thought I'd blog. This is my first experiment with different colors. I just did stripes of different widths with purple and orange yarn. The colors are a little shocking, but I think with the pattern it works alright. Aaaand, look how adorable the colors are with my orange slippers!!

The yarn I used is really soft so it was fun to knit, and this sock went pretty quickly, which is nice. I used one of the patterns from E's book. I forget which one it is.. the most simple one, 48 stitches, a little ribbing at the top, stockinette the rest of the way. Same ol', same ol'. I used the same toe I used on the second sock last time. I love that toe. My kitchener's stitch turned out almost flawless this time (picture to the left). I'm so pumped. I followed the instructions here, which I assume is the way I tried doing kitchener's last time, but for some reason it worked a lot better this time. There is a little bump in the middle, but for the most part the seam is unnoticeable.


Now, the colors deal. It wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be. Or, rather, just not as perfect as I'd hoped. I found two methods here to do "jogless stripes" because when you knit in the round, the stripes end up being one stitch off. My pictures and that website probably explain it better than I could. I tried both methods while knitting. The first one (stationary jogless stripes) didn't look very good. It was just really obvious that one of the columns was getting shorter and shorter. It was weird. Ick.

The second method (traveling jogless stripes) was better, but still noticeable. The website warns that a spiral will start to be seen, and it is. That's annoying. But it is less obvious than the first way. I don't know, I'll keep surfing the web and see if I can find anything else. If I do I'll try it out on my second sock and let you all know.

Well I think that's all I've got for now.

OH ! NO. I lied. So there's this sweet online network called Ravelry. It is a bunch of knitters, and you can get a profile and upload patterns and pictures of stuff you've knitted for everyone to look at. I just joined, and have surfed around on it a little bit, and it seems pretty cool and useful. They have a waiting list or something to register with the website, but it only takes a week or two for you to get the email to go join, and it's completely free! I recommend.

Happy summer. Finally lots of time to knit!

No comments: