Saturday, May 31, 2008

The second sock... for the second time!

I finished my second sock about a week or two ago, and I was excited, of course, especially as it had gone so quickly. So I eagerly tried it on, and it was HUGE. Realized I forgot to do two decreases in the gusset. Are you kidding?? Haha, what a stupid mistake. The pattern explicitly says "make sure you have 12 stitches on each needle", and I definitely counted, but I finished up the foot with 14 stitches on two of the needles. Boy, oh boy.

It was way too big for me to wear. How annoying, right?? So I asked Elizabeth what I should do. Her words of wisdom: "I was reading this book about knitting one time and it said that part of making projects you like is being willing to rip out and redo them over and over until they're right." Well, I listened to my wise, patient knitting partner and unraveled the foot of my sock. Redoing it really took me no time, and I am very glad I did it because now I can actually wear them.

I like them!! And see? They fit! Actually, though, they don't fit perfectly. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely pleased with how they came out, but here's the deal. The smaller sock (on my right foot) seems to fit better, but the heel seems to slide up as if the length of the bottom of the sock is too short. But the top looks perfect.

The sock on my left foot kind of looks big on the top, but the heel sits in the right place on my foot. E, do you have this problem? I think next time I'll try adding a row or two to the bottom of the sock and THEN start the toe. Oh, but that might not work on second thought. Hmm. I can't quite picture it. Maybe I'll ask the people at the Knit Nook what they think. I wish I were working there this summer.. sigh.

Now, the stripes (see pic to left). I think they turned out better this sock around, at least by the end. I know I messed up a few times and forgot to slip a stitch or something, but when I did it right, the diagonal line was much less noticeable this time. I guess it was just practice that helped. But I'm still going to see if I can find a better way to do stripes. Oh, and I wish I had thought to make the diagonal line go down the SIDE of the sock instead of right smack dab in the middle of the front.

I love these socks. I really do. They were a fun, quick project and I think they're adorable. The yarn I used (Lion Brand Microspun in Mango and Purple) is comfy and it was nice to knit with because it is pretty soft.

Now I'll leave you with a picture of my socks matching oh so well with my orange slippers. It just makes me so happy. Aren't they cheery?


Love, T

PS- Do you like my white sheet and natural lighting?

3 comments:

Molly said...

nice work on part deux. I'll try some striped sox when i get home and tell you how it goes.

Unknown said...

you're a pretty baller ass photographer, Teej, as well as knitter.

cottoncandy404 said...

i'm so using that same yarn for my blanket!!! they have such cool colors in that yarn.