Sunday, June 15, 2008

Socks 4 Mary


Pattern: Jane's Hedgerow Socks, but with a short row toe
Needle: US size 2 (although I was wondering the whole pattern through if it would have looked better on size 1 needles.)
Yarn: Sockotta - 45% cotton, 40% superwash wool, 15% nylon

The pattern was pretty tedious and took a lot of attention and more time than knitting usually takes me. I like it, but I kind of wonder if just a regular ribbed pattern would have worked better with this self-striping yarn (best stuff EVER. especially after trying to get rid of the jog in stripes. go with self-striping.), and I think you might have been able to see the pattern more on a solid sock.

Cute, though. Right? I think I could have done with just a couple fewer stitches in my gauge for a cozier fit, but maybe if I run them through the dryer they will shrink just enough. Speaking of drying and stuff, guess what I did last Friday night. I washed all three pairs of socks I have knitted thus far! The sad part was that I actually enjoyed myself. A lot.





















The yarn I used says it's machine washer-friendly, but I wanted to hand wash anyway because socks are supposed to hold up better if you do. And the color is supposed to last longer. I followed directions I found here on how to wash socks, and just used lukewarm water and shampoo to wash and a little bit of conditioner in one of my rinses. The website said to rinse the socks until the water is clear. This yarn was bleeding, though, so I ended up rinsing these socks waay more times than I did the other two pairs. The water never really got clear, so I just stopped eventually because I was getting frustrated with the process and because I didn't want the socks to lose too much of their color. After seeing the socks dried, I regret rinsing this many times (I don't know how many times, maybe like 6 or 7?? Way too much. I rinsed the other socks 2 or 3 times.). They did lose some brightness in their color. But that means if I (or Mary) had thrown them in the wash, they'd have bled all over the other clothes, right? Or is that only a problem when you put them in with white clothes? Harumph. I think I'm being a perfectionist now.

Another fun thing, I finished this pair of socks pretty quickly. Definitely under a week. And casted on another pair of socks the same night I finished this pair and washed my socks. :)

This has basically (basically, Teresa?)... OK, it has COMPLETELY been my summer so far. I have done nothing else. I start working tomorrow (nannying), but I'm sure I'll be able to find time for knitting. I love knitting. And I am totally addicted to socks. They're quick so I don't get sick of the yarn in the time I'm knitting them, and they're fun to knit. I absolutely love turning the heel. Plus there's generally a lot of stockinette, so they're easy. And double-pointed needles are just cool, if a little awkward.

YAY KNITTING!!!!!!

Omg, AND, my mom and I are going to be visiting a SHEEP FARM sometime this week! It's in Kentucky, and my mom decided a while ago that she wants to get some sheep. I, of course, am completely in favor of this plan. I think the woman who runs this farm spins her own wool (!!), so maybe I can get a tutorial. And maybe I'll buy some and dye it myself??? Regardless, I will post more next week. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Molly said...

you're so crazy good.
I've never been a fan of self-striping yarn until now.
Let's just say it was intimidating.
mwah and good job!

merry said...

Teresa!!

The socks are AMAZING, I <333 them! I cannot wait to get them in the fall and wear them all the time :))

I hope nannying is going well for you! I miss you so much and cannot wait to see you! I come home on July 29, and i will defs call you. Lovvve youuuu!!