Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer of Knitting at ND

So I'm almost half way through a summer of orgo at ND.  blah.  Pretty much the only thing keeping me sane are the projects I'm working on.   I'm actually trying my hand at crocheting right now so I'm working on some pretty basic shtuff.  But the cool thing is, you can do a lot more at the beginner crochet level than you can at the beginner knitting level.  Plus I think crocheting is definitely easier than knitting, although it did take me a while to get used to holding one hook instead of two needles.  It just felt so wrong at first.  


I've been working on a granny square blanket for a while as a present for my little sister (who is going to be a freshman at ND next year!!!)  I got the pattern for free from the lion brand 
website.  You do have to be a member to get the free patterns.  Basically I have to make a ton of little granny squares, connect them, and then make a border.  It's taking a lot longer than I expected because I didn't notice at first that the pattern is for a baby blanket, so I'm having to quadruple the pattern.  I'm using lion brand microspun yarn, the same kind Teresa used for her purple and orange socks.  =)  It's really soft and comes in tons of bright colors.  



I'm also working on a fishnet shrug right now.  I got the pattern from "Stitch n' Bitch Crochet:  The Happy Hooker," the book that I learned how to crochet from.   I actually already finished the shrug, but realized too late that it was totally the wrong size, so I had to take the whole thing apart and start all over again.  =(  Serves me right for never making a swatch to check the gauge I guess. 
That's all I'm working on right now.  I also just got an invite to ravelry.  I'm quite excited.  Is anyone else on ravelry?

Hope everyone is having a great summer!
<3>

1 comment:

Teresa said...

mariel! i'm so happy to see your post!! your blanket is way cute. i love those bright colors. and i love the little shrug!! i have been meaning to try and knit one of those. but im also scared to try it because of the whole fitting thing. i have ravelry, my user name is tjm1387. can you add people as friends and stuff on that? i havent put any pictures or projects up but maybe i will.